The Basics Knowledge Of Children’s Board Book Printing
You may also like:
Most children’s books are printed with exquisite pictures, which not only attract children to read, but also help children understand the fun of the story. At the same time, sales of children’s board book are also growing. Are you interested in self-publishing board book writing? In this article, we will explore the basics of board book printing, including the process, content, size, interior page materials, cover options, page count, and finding a professional board book supplier. To help you get started, here are some top guides on setting up and printing children’s board books.
What’s board book printing
Board book printing is the process of creating durable and child-friendly books that are specifically designed for young children. These books are made with thick cardboard pages that can withstand rough handling, chewing, and tearing. Board books are an excellent choice for children because they are more sturdy and durable compared to regular paper books. They are designed to withstand the wear and tear that comes with being handled by little hands. Board book printing ensures that children can enjoy their favorite stories without the fear of damaging the book.
The process of board book printing
The process of board book printing involves several steps to ensure the final product meets the highest quality standards. It starts with the design and layout of the book, including the choice of fonts, colors, and images. Once the design is finalized, the next step is to print the pages on thick cardboard. The printing process uses special inks(usually use soy ink) that are safe for children and do not easily fade or smudge.
After the pages are printed, they are then laminated to provide an extra layer of protection against spills and stains. Lamination also adds a glossy finish to the pages, making them more visually appealing to children. The pages are then cut and assembled, and the book is bound together. The final step is to inspect the book for any defects or imperfections before it is packaged and shipped.
1. Board book length: Consider spread, not pages
When you open a board book, it starts with a 2-page spread. Page 1 is the left page (on the back of the cover). Page 2 is the right page facing page 1. The last page of the board book is the right page (on the back of the back cover).
When setting up your board book design, select facing pages in your layout software. When generating a PDF for printing, select “Spread” to generate the final print file.
2. Board book content: Simple word or short sentence, not long
When it comes to board book printing, the content is an essential factor to consider. Board books are designed for young children who are just starting to explore books and reading. Therefore, the content needs to be simple and engaging. Board books typically feature simple words or short sentences that are easy for children to understand and remember. The vocabulary used in board books is tailored to a child’s age and developmental stage.
The content of board books often revolves around familiar objects, animals, and everyday activities. This helps children make connections between the words they see in the book and the things they encounter in their daily lives. The simplicity of the content also allows children to focus on the illustrations and engage with the book visually. Board book ensures that the content is presented in a way that is visually appealing and age-appropriate for young readers.
3. Blackboard size: Consider to be small, not big
Self-publishing custom board books mean that you are targeting children between the ages of 1 and 4. Keep the book size small so toddlers can hold and manipulate board books more easily. Smaller page sizes also allow younger eyes to focus on one main image/concept per page.
The dimensions of a board book are carefully chosen to ensure that it fits comfortably in a child’s hands. The size should be just right – not too big that it becomes cumbersome for a child to handle. Also not too small that the illustrations and text become difficult to see. Board book printing takes into consideration the ideal size that balances readability and usability for young readers. The average size of a board book is about 6 x 6 inches square. (We printed this size board book most)
Common size for board books:
- 6x 6 inches
- 7 x 7 inches
- 8x 8 inches
- 5 x 8.5 inches
- 5 x 7 inches
- 6 x 8 inches
- 6x 9 inches
- 7 x 5 inches
- 8 x 6 inches
- 9x 6 inches
4. Board book stock: Think paper board, not paper
Board books are made of sturdy cardboard called cardboard, not paper, to withstand the wear and tear that babies and toddlers love to do to their “stuff.”
There are two main types of cardboard used for board book printing:
Gray board is pressed cardboard made of gray fibers and a white laminated surface.
Whiteboards (aka white art boards) are pressed paper boards made of white fibers and a white laminated surface. It is higher quality and more expensive than gray board.
You can tell by looking at the edge of the board from the top or side of the board book. Whiteboards will have white edges, while gray boards will have gray edges.
Paperboard is usually specified in gsm (grams per square meter). The higher the number, the thicker the cardboard. Typically, 350 gsm to 400 gsm is thick enough to resist bending, chewing and throwing.
Common paper weight for board book:
- Two sheet of 250gsm C1S paper wrapped together
- Two sheet of 300gsm C1S paper wrapped together
- Two sheet of 350gsm C1S paper wrapped together
- Two sheet of 400gsm C1S paper wrapped together
- Or multiple sheet of C1S paper wrapped together
5. Board book covers: Consider self covers, not separate covers
The cover of the blackboard book is usually made of the same drawing board as the text, which is called a self-cover.
When specifying spreads/page counts in your blackboard, you do not need to include the cover page in your spread count.
The cover design is prepared in a separate file, with the back, spine and cover put together.
Once you confirm the board type and number of spreads for your board book, we provide a cover template to set up your artwork with the correct spine width and bleed size easily.
6. Board book page count: Few pages, not more
Board books are designed to be short and concise, making them perfect for young children with shorter attention spans. Unlike regular books, board books typically have a limited page count. The number of pages in a board book can vary depending on the specific book’s content and design. Board book page count usually between 8-40 pages.
The limited page count in board books ensures that the story or information is presented in a way that is easy for young children to follow. It also allows for larger illustrations and text, making it easier for children to engage with the book visually. Board book printing takes into consideration the ideal page count that balances the storytelling or educational aspect of the book with the practicality of a child-friendly format.
7. Board book edge: Round corner, not square
The edges of board books are an important consideration when it comes to safety. To prevent any accidents or injuries, board books are designed with round corners instead of sharp square edges. Round corners eliminate the risk of a child getting scratched or poked by a sharp edge while handling the book.
The round corner design also adds to the overall aesthetic appeal of the board book. It gives the book a softer and more child-friendly look, further enhancing the appeal for young readers. The smooth edges allow children to handle the book with ease and comfort, encouraging them to explore and engage with the content.
8. Board book finish: Lamination, foil stamping, spot UV, die cut
The finish of a board book can greatly enhance its visual appeal and overall quality. There are several common finishing options available for board books, including lamination, foil stamping, spot UV, die cut, and round corner.
- Lamination, as mentioned earlier, provides a protective layer and adds a glossy finish to the pages.
- Foil stamping is a technique where metallic or colored foil is applied to specific areas of the cover, creating an eye-catching effect.
- Spot UV involves applying a glossy, raised coating to certain parts of the book, adding texture and visual interest.
- Die cut allows for custom shapes and designs to be cut out of the cover or pages, or edges, creating a unique and interactive book.
- Round corners, as discussed earlier, add a finishing touch to the board book, ensuring safety and aesthetics.
The finish options is depend on your preference and budget, if you want to learn more about the post-press, please check out “surface options” page.
9. Board book printer: Rich experience in board book printing
When it comes to board book printing, it is crucial to choose a printer with rich experience in producing high-quality board books. Board books have unique requirements and specifications that not all printers may be familiar with. An experienced board book printer understands the nuances of board book printing. And can ensure that the final product meets the highest quality standards.
An experienced board book printer will have the necessary equipment and expertise to handle the specific requirements of board book printing. They will be able to provide guidance and recommendations throughout the printing process, from design to final production. Choosing a board book printer with rich experience in the industry is essential to ensure that the board books are durable, visually appealing, and engaging for young readers.
Tips for high-quality board book printing
To ensure high-quality board book printing, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
Choose the right printer: Look for a printer with experience in board book printing and a proven track record of delivering high-quality products.
- Pay attention to design: Invest in a well-designed and visually appealing layout that is age-appropriate and engaging for young children.
- Use high-quality materials: Opt for thick cardboard for the cover and interior pages.
- Check for safety standards: Ensure that the printer uses non-toxic inks and materials that are safe for children to handle.
- Proofread and edit: Double-check the content for any errors or inconsistencies before sending it for printing.
- Test the final product: Request a sample copy before printing a large batch to ensure that the quality meets your expectations.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your board books are of the highest quality and provide a delightful reading experience for young children.
How to find professional quality board book supplier?
Finding a professional quality board book supplier is essential to ensure that the final product meets your expectations. One trusted board book supplier is BookPrintingChina, an experienced printing company specializing in board book printing. Here are a few reasons why BookPrintingChina is a reliable choice for your board book printing needs:
- Expertise: BookPrintingChina has extensive experience in board book printing. We understand the unique requirements of creating durable and child-friendly books. We have a team of skilled professionals who are dedicated to delivering high-quality board books.
- Quality materials: BookPrintingChina uses only the best materials for board book printing. We always highly focus on children’s safe. So we usually use eco-friendly soy ink and materiel for printing board books. We ensure that the interior pages are made from thick cardboard that can withstand rough handling. And the lamination process adds an extra layer of protection and visual appeal.
- Customization options: BookPrintingChina offers a range of customization options for board book printing. From size to cover options and finishes, we can tailor the printing process to meet your specific needs and preferences.
- Competitive pricing: BookPrintingChina offers competitive pricing for board book printing without compromising on quality. We understand the importance of cost-effectiveness. Especially for businesses or individuals looking to print board books in bulk.
When searching for a professional quality board book supplier. BookPrintingChina is a reliable choice that can deliver exceptional results.
Board book printing is a specialized process that requires careful attention to detail and the use of high-quality materials. By understanding the basics of board book printing, including the process, content, size, cover options, and page count. You can make informed decisions when printing board books for children. Remember to choose a board book printer with rich experience, such as BookPrintingChina, to ensure that your board books are durable, visually appealing, and meet the highest quality standards. With the right knowledge and a reliable board book supplier, you can create beautiful and engaging board books that young children will love.
Next Page : Why Printed Catalogs Are Making A Comeback