8 Steps on How to Binding a High-Quality Hardcover Book
The process of hardcover book printing with a high-quality is much more complicated than ordinary books.
8 Steps for the Hardcover Book Binding Process:
1. Folding: This is the first process of binding. Regardless of any binding method, you must first fold before proceeding to the next process. The so-called folding is to fold a printed page into the required specifications according to the size of the book format. The size of the printed page and the format of the book are different, and the number of folding is also different. The common format is the front format, which adopts the method of continuous half-folding, that is, folds from the vertical center of the long side of the printed page each time. When it is a double book binding, the last fold is to fold on the center vertical line of the short side. The horizontal book (that is, bound at the short side of the signature, the folding page needs to be folded from the center vertical line of the short side when the penultimate fold, and the last one is still folded from the center line of the long side. When it is deformed When formatting, there are various folding methods. In addition to the above methods, various methods such as parallel gripping and parallel folding are also used.
2. Collating: The post of a book is put together in the order of page numbers, called collating (also called collating. Nowadays, mechanical collating is mostly used. The efficiency of collating machine is about 60~150 books per minute. A good signature has a black square mark on the back of the book called the signature, which is used to check whether the signature is mismatched. The position of the signature of each signature is different. When the signature is correctly arranged, the signature is It is arranged in a trapezoid. If one is missing or one is more, it can be easily seen with the eyes, which can prevent binding errors.
3. Lock thread: It means to connect the signatures together with thread. There are two kinds of manual stitching and machine stitching. The stitching machine has manual and automatic stitching. Even if it is an automatic stitching machine, the efficiency is difficult to greatly improve. Therefore, some books use the glue method.
4. Press and brush glue: The book block after the thread is very loose, which requires a layer of gauze. At this point, the processing of the book block is complete. Some hardcover books also need to add ribbons, cut round corners, and dye mouths.
5. Cover making: The covers of hardcover books are mostly hard shells, so they are also called shells. It is made by mounting various cover materials on cardboard. The commonly used binding materials are textiles, lacquered paper, varnished cloth, and various lining materials. The grades of books are different, and the materials and manufacturing methods are also different. High-end books are all covered with high-quality fabrics, mid-range books are all covered with medium fabrics, and low-end books can be covered with lower-priced fabrics, or half-packed with better fabrics.
6. When making the envelope: first cut the cardboard according to the size of the book (the envelope of a hardcover book should be 3mm larger than the cut, which is called a flap, and the size of the cardboard should be added with a flap), and then mount the fabric on the On cardboard. When mounting, leave a certain distance between the front cover and the back cover according to the thickness of the back of the book. The text on the cover of the hardcover book is mostly stamped with electrochemical foil, and embossing and screen printing can also be used. Sometimes embossing is used to emboss various decorative patterns. There are two processes for making envelopes: manual and machine. High-end books are mostly mounted by hand.
7. Upper cover: The method to cover the hardcover book is to put a piece of paper with better toughness. Fold it from the middle, stick it on the book block and mount it on the cover lining. In order to make the cover and the book block connect firmly, the book block and the cover should be glued or pasted with a few cloth strips with gauze. This makes the books stronger and increases the appearance of the beautiful.
8. Flattening: After the book has been bound, it must be placed upside down and placed neatly with pressure to make it more flat, and finally can be packaged and shipped out of the factory.
If you have very high requirements for the product and would like to get a high-quality valuable hardcover book or custom hardcover book printing china, then you might need to find a professional printing company.
More about us and our products, please go to –> www.bookprintingchina.com
Next Page : How to make catalogue printing in high-grade?